03 February 2005

Kakanin


This is actually my mom's recipe. I know the whole process of making this but I'm not too confident with the exact measurements of the ingredients. And while my mom cooked the malagkit in the stove top the one I made was cooked in the microwave. I find using the microwave more convenient since I don't have to stir the malagkit while cooking just to prevent the bottom from scorching. Plus it only takes 15-18 min. to cook.
Baking at home was done in the turbo broiler/convection oven so I had to make some minor adjustments with the gas oven in our apartment. Same with some of the ingredients like the gata , malagkit and panucha.



Bibingkang Malagkit Posted by Hello

2 c. sweet/glutinous rice, pre-soaked overnight
3 c. coconut milk
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tbsp. sugar

Topping:
3-4 c. coconut milk
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 1/2 c. condensed milk

Drain out water from the rice. Place in microwaveable rice cooker . Mix in 2 c. coconut milk, salt and sugar. Set for 8 min. high heat. After which add the remaining 1 c. of coconut milk and make a quick stir. set for another 8-9 min.

For the topping simmer the coconut milk in a pot/pan until thick. When it's thick enough to cover the back of a spoon, add the sugar and condensed milk. Simmer until it's almost like a thick syrup (doing this cuts the time of baking and prevents the rice from drying up)

To assemble: place the cooked rice in a baking pan/dish. Level and smooth it out with a spatula . Pour in the topping . Bake at 300 degrees for 25-30 min.

No comments: