21 January 2005

Pinangat na Isda


Before, my cooking philosophy is that I only cook the food I like to eat. But having a hubby with some food preferences and two kids who classifies food as either delicious or yucky. I had to make some major adjustments.
For example, I am not particularly fond of fish dishes especially those with sabaw. First thing I desdain about it is that I hate cleaning fish. You know, like removing the scales, gills and guts (oh man, just thinking about it makes me wanna throw up...excuse me , be right back)
Now where were we? Oh yeah.. Secondly, I don't like the way it taste. No matter how much ginger and/or vinegar there is in the dish it still has that fishy taste to it. And to top it all , it's hard to pick all the bones (tinik) out with all that sabaw.
Well so much for my dis gusto. Somebody has been clamoring for paksiw or pinangat for some time now. So when I saw some small fish at the asian store (I don't know what they're called) I had the idea that they would do. And the great thing about it that it was pre-packed and pre-cleaned (Thank you God).
I texted (for those who are not familiar with the term it means to send an SMS or text message) my mom for the recipe for pinangat.

Pinangat na Isda Posted by Hello

I rinsed the fish three times and submerged it in water with grated ginger and garlic just to get rid of some of the fishy taste and smell. Left it to soak for a good 30 min.
After that I followed my mom's instructions...

"Ilagay mo sa caserola yung malinis na isda, iayos mo. Lagyan mo ng bawang, sibuyas, luya,paminta, siling mahaba, asin, konting tubig at konting suka. Tikman mo na lang pag kumulo kung kulang yung lasa ng alat at asim"


No comments: